Thursday 31 May 2012

EARLY BEGINNINGS

For those of a certain vintage Home Economics classes are a dim dark memory best left in a jar at the back of the pantry. I know hate is a strong word but it's the best word to describe how I felt about these classes. The most challenging culinary creation our poor teachers could summon was at best curried mince or at the worst - a boiled egg or watery scrambled eggs with cold toast. On the days when we weren't cooking we were trying to master the art of sewing. I can remember a rather disastrous full circle wrap around skirt in a dark, unflattering floral print. After high school I went to university for a while, where I wasted a lot of time having a good time. I was introduced to the culinary highlight of this period by my Korean flatmate who was a little too fond of packet noodles. Packet noodles with iceberg lettuce added for a bit of extra something was a cheap and convenient meal. In between lettuce and noodles there were trips to a little restaurant at St Lucia called The Cat's Tango - this now defunct place was so exotic at the time and I loved it. If I couldn't afford to eat there my other favourite was the pasta bar downstairs called Pasta Pasta.
My food life has not always been a love affair with creating food however I do love eating it. It's only now that we have the Teahouse and I'm baking cakes and cooking each day for friends, family and customers that I see the joy that homemade produce brings. A delicious slice of cake with a cuppa at morning tea, a bowl of fresh soup straight off the stove or homemade jam with light fluffy scones is often enough to brighten someones day. And I guess this is why we do it day in and day out because food brings people together, it creates community and a sense of well being that is often missed in the daily rush of life.
I'm now looking forward to a bowl of pea and ham soup, just off the stove it's a meal in a bowl. The only thing wrong with cooking is washing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment